Thursday, October 21

Bucket Soup

Say hello to my bucket. A big ole ice cream tub I saved to make delicious Bucket Soup. What is bucket soup you ask?? Well let me tell you.

It is the easiest, tastiest, cheapest soup you ever did put past your lips! Seriously.



You know those nights when you think your crew is really hungry but turns out they really weren't so you have half a can of corn left over? Or maybe it's only one spoonful of green beans and a bit of juice. Perhaps you have a quarter cup of ground beef or 2 slices of tomato. Basically you have leftovers that you paid good money for but there's not really enough to save. This is when you need to get yourself a bucket! I keep mine in the deep freeze and every time I have a little bit of goodies left I pour them in the bucket. Remember that you are saving all the flavor and seasonings too.

Once your bucket is full, set it out for a few hours to start defrosting. I like to pull mine out right after breakfast. By lunch time it is thawed enough to slide out of the bucket then it will finish melting and heating up on the stove. All I added to this batch was an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce. I like my soup/stew pretty tomato-y.

MuscleGirl8 was so against this. She scrunched up her face and said it looked nasty. (She was just seeing a block of ice with corn and green beans sticking out.) As soon as she had a taste her eyes lit up and she ended up having 3 servings! BabyGirl6 said she wanted it for her birthday dinner!

This soup is always fun. I never really remember everything that's in the bucket and it tastes different every time. Give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!





Happy Cooking!

This post is linked to the following blogs:

Raising Homemakers



10 comments:

  1. You ARE really a gem!!! Thats the best idea I have heard all year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! As I was reading I thought.... NASTY!! But I kept reading and that is really a great idea and I am going to try it! I am horribly picky but we do throw out a lot of veggies cuz we don't eat them all at dinner. I bet this would be really good, just add more seasoning of whatever it already tastes like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reagan, I think you will be surprised. Remember that you are combining flavors that you know you like already. My kids are picky and they LOVED it! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! Okay, you twisted my arm....I'll have to get me a tub of ice cream so I can start saving my scraps! ;)

    Question: All of that broth comes just from the tomato sauce?

    I'm coming over from the What's Cooking Wednesday carnival! I also subscribed to your feed!

    Thanks for a great post!

    Under the Big Oak Tree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alison, thanks so much for visiting and subscribing!!

    In regards to the broth: Most of it is the juice that is left over from a can of corn or green beans that we had with dinner. I only added the tomato sauce for the flavor. I guess if you needed more soup you could add water or chicken broth.

    This is a great excuse, sorry, a great reason, to get a bucket of ice cream. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this also only I use broth from boild chicken or turkey bones as a base.I also usually make it when we have just had a lot of left over mac and cheese because my kids LOVE it in the soup.I have some really picky eaters and all 5 of them love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. Whenever I make vegetable soup, I basically throw in a lot of odds and ends too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mac and Cheese in the bucket soup? Oh my! My kids would LOVE that too! I never thought of putting that in there but will definitely do it next time I have some left over. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea! I'll be getting our ice cream this week! Thank you for sharing this!!
    I'm visiting from "Love alone"
    http://whisperwife.blogspot.com/2010/10/family-cookbook-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie, thanks for visiting!

    I'm glad I could give you a reason to get a big bucket of ice cream! ;)

    Your blog is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Please feel free to let me know what you think. I love getting comments and read every one of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...