Thursday, October 7

Homemade Applesauce

My girls LOVE applesauce. MuscleGirl8 especially loves homemade applesauce. Mamma loves the smell of it cooking all day in the crockpot. This recipe is very simple and easy, especially if you have yourself one of those fancy peeler/corer/slicer thing-a-ma-jigs (which I unfortunately do not).

Start yourself off with a big bag of apples. How many you need depends on the size of the apples and your crockpot. I would guess I used 10-12 medium sized apples to fill up my small crock. (I have dreams of a massive crockpot gracing my counter top someday but for now the smaller one will have to do.) Get to peeling and chopping. The chunks don't have to be exactly uniform but I do recommend getting them basically the same size so that they all cook evenly. Keep peeling and chopping until your pot is full. At this point you should taste your apples. This will tell you whether or not you need to add sugar. Then give them a good coating of cinnamon and stir well.



Cover and cook on low until they start to feel soft. When they get to that point, start mashing with your potato masher. I usually mash a little, then let it cook a little, then mash some more, then cook some more. The result is applesauce that is smooth and still a bit chunky. If you don't like the chunks then you could use the immersion blender to smooth it all the way out. You can see here that they cooked down by about half.


Our favorite way to eat it is with cinnamon graham crackers. This is a very healthy snack.


After serving everyone for snack that day this was all I had left. It's waiting patiently in my fridge, and will probably be gone before the day is over. YUM!


Happy Cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting! Please feel free to let me know what you think. I love getting comments and read every one of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...