Saturday, October 23

Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup

I think some of you will be totally with me on this one, and some of you will think I'm totally wacky. This was my breakfast Friday morning.



It was a cool, cloudy morning and I wanted something warm. My problem with breakfast is that most of it is sweet. I wanted salty without having to fry bacon or ham or scramble eggs. So I had soup. Warm, salty, healthy chicken soup.

It's really easy to make chicken soup at home. It is so much healthier and tastes so much better than the canned variety. I'm sure you could do a search and come up with thousands of recipes. Here's mine.

Get yourself a big pot and add your chicken. You can do a whole chicken or only one part or different pieces. This pot of soup had 3 large bone in breasts and 5 legs. Use what you have. You can use boneless skinless breasts but the bones really do add a lot of flavor and nutrients. Fill with water until the chicken is covered. Then add your seasonings. I added a healthy amount of salt and pepper, some garlic salt and some parsley, mostly for color. Set the stove to medium and cook until the chicken is done.

After you have filled your home with the delicious smell of chicken, you will need to remove the chicken from the broth and let it cool. You don't want burned fingers so it's best to wait a bit before you pick it off the bone.

While your chicken is cooling chop some carrots, celery, and onion. Add that to a preheated pan with a couple tablespoons of real butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sautee the veggies until they start getting some golden brown color on them.

While the veggies are cooking bring the broth back up to a boil and add in some rice. I would say about 1/2-1 cup depending on how much you want. While that is cooking, pick the chicken off the bones and chop into same sized pieces. Or don't chop, whatever you want.

Add the chicken and veggies to the broth and continue cooking until the rice is done. This soup is good plain, with crackers, or with grilled cheese! YUM!!!

Happy Cooking!!

You’ll find all kinds of new recipes this weekend at Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade!!

This recipe is linked to~

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really delicious - there's nothing better than using real ingredients to make a tasty bowl of soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the REAL ingredients!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Please feel free to let me know what you think. I love getting comments and read every one of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...