Monday, October 4

A New Way To Pray


I don't know about you, but I need to feel the presence of God on a regular basis. Sometimes that's hard to do when you're a mom. Scratch that...sometimes that's just plain hard to do. I'm human. Life happens. I don't always feel God when I'm doing the laundry or scrubbing the toilet or cleaning up puppy pee for the umpteenth time. I do however make a strong effort to feel His presence at least most weekday mornings.

My husband gets up to go to work around 5:45. His schedule is a little odd. One week he works Monday-Thursday, has a 4 day weekend, then works Tuesday-Friday. So on the days he works I get up with him, make us both a cup of coffee, then meet with Jesus as soon as he leaves. I used to just kind of go with whatever. I might read a few Bible chapters, read a devotional, or watch some preaching I had on the dvr.

That was until I heard a message from pastor Robert Morris. I used to attend his church until we moved from that area. He is a great preacher and teacher. If you have the time I encourage you to go to the Gateway Church website and listen to his message titled Let's Come In.

The basis of this message is how you need to "come in" to the presence of God. After you come in, you will go out different. So, let's discuss some steps for "coming in"...

  1. Worship. It's a must. It's needed. It brings us closer to God. Praising Him brings Him closer to us. Psalm 22:3 says~ "But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel."~KJV When we praise, with a sincere heart, then God comes to us. He inhabits our praise. How lovely and beautiful is that? To know that your God will come to be with you if you will simply praise Him. Put on some good praise and worship music. Sing along and clap your hands. Lift your hands to Him and really get in to the songs. Forget everything that's going on around you or in your life at that moment and really focus on Him. Once you feel his presence then move on to the next step. Some days I feel Him after two or three songs. Some days it takes much longer. I find that on those days it's all me. I'm the one having a hard time focusing my heart on Him. If I'm distracted then I don't feel His presence until I really get my heart on Him.
  2. Once you feel your Savior there with you it's time to pray. I usually make a list in my prayer journal of the most pressings needs I have that day. Once I have my list I get down on my knees in the middle of my living room floor. I visualize Jesus on his knees in front of me, praying with me. I pray for each thing on my list individually. Once I finish praying, I reach up and take that burden off my shoulders. I stretch out and put it on Jesus. I do this with each thing I pray for. When I'm done with it all, I reach out again and take HIS YOKE and put it on my shoulders, for it is easy and light! (Matthew 11:28-30)
  3. After I have prayed I pick up my Bible. Usually during my praise and prayer the Lord will lead me to a passage. I will ask Him to speak to my heart while I read and I almost always come away with a new bit of knowledge. Some days He doesn't lead me anywhere specific so I will just continue reading through or I will read Psalm or Proverbs.

I don't get to do this every day. I wish I could. When I do get to my days are completely different. Be prepared for this to take some time. I would give it at least an hour to start. Some days I can do it all in 30 minutes or so. Even if you could only manage this time once a week I really think it would change you forever.

Be Blessed!!

This post is linked to Motivation Mondays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting! Please feel free to let me know what you think. I love getting comments and read every one of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...