Friday, February 4

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

Who doesn't love chicken nuggets?  I know we do at our house.  The only problem is that most of the places they come from, even the ones from the freezer section at the grocery store, are not the healthiest things in the world.  I came up with this recipe so that my family can have their chicken nuggets and still feel good after eating them.

Start off with a variety of different bread products.  I'll be honest here...I used about 10 saltine crackers, 3 bread heels, 2 day old biscuits left over from breakfast, 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, and about 1/4 cup of white flour.  Quite a mix isn't it.  This recipe is perfect for using up bread heels, cracker crumbs, even the crumbs at the bottom of your chip bag.  Doing that would add a different flavor every time.

In addition to the bread I also added sea salt, pepper, garlic salt, and dried parsley.  I threw all these things in my blender (I don't have a food processor) and got to pulsing.  I would pulse for a bit then shake it around then pulse some more.  This is how it turned out.

 
See...pretty little bread crumbs.  No one would ever know the crazy things I added in there.  ;)

Your next step is to coat your chicken.  I used a package of boneless/skinless chicken breasts.  I just cubed the chicken, trying to get them all about the same size.  After all, we do want them all done at the same time.

I mixed 2 eggs, a splash of water, a good shake of Louisiana hot sauce, and s&p together to make the sticky stuff.  Don't leave out the hot sauce.  It doesn't make it hot, it just gives it a really nice flavor.

Dip your chicken in the egg mixture then in the breading, making sure to coat it thoroughly.



Coat your pan with something as these stuck on me a little bit.  Bake them in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Flip them over about halfway through.



Here's your end result.  Pretty little chicken nuggets.  Homemade and much healthier than those deep fried ones you'll find at the drive through.  

Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce (we love honey mustard) and your kitchen helper!!

This post is linked to~

1 comment:

  1. fabulous recipe...especially since chicken nuggets are always a crowd pleaser. it is so nice to see that they don't have to be loaded with junk to be tasty! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Please feel free to let me know what you think. I love getting comments and read every one of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...