Tuesday, February 7

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

We absolutely love spaghetti at our house.  My oldest asks for it for lunch several times a week.  My youngest wants to eat her "loodles." ;)  They all love it covered in parmesan cheese.  I used to be a Prego gal.  You know, open the jar, pour the sauce, heat and eat.  Easy Peasy!  But one day I had a craving for spaghetti but had no sauce so I decided to try my hand at homemade.  Once my husband tasted it he said, "Now that you know how to make it from scratch, don't EVER buy pre-made stuff again!"

I made it last night and over dinner we were discussing cost and health and such.  I wouldn't say this recipe is any cheaper than store bought sauce, especially since you can find it in my area for around $1.00/jar on sale.  I figured my cost to be about $2.00 meatless or $3.50 once I added some sausage.  It is, in my opinion, worth a few cents more and a few more minutes of my time to know exactly what's in it and what I'm feeding my family.


Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

24 oz tomato sauce
1 can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp oil
1/2 an onion, diced
2-4 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
Italian seasoning
oregano
s&p to taste

1. Start by adding your oil of choice to a pot along with your onion and minced garlic.  Add salt to this to help the onions sweat.  Saute until the onions start to get soft.  Breathe deep, enjoy... 
2. Now add your tomato sauce and tomatoes.  Now my reasoning for getting whole tomatoes is Martha Stewart's fault.  She said that if you buy whole tomatoes you know you are getting good ones because you can see them for yourself.  If you get chopped or diced then they could possibly be the leftovers or pieces that weren't good enough for the cans of whole tomatoes.  So, get you some whole tomatoes and chop them up.  If you don't like chunky sauce you can omit these or you can add another can if you like it very chunky.
3. Next comes your seasonings.  You probably noticed that I didn't give measurements.  That's because I almost never measure seasonings unless I'm baking.  Add the seasoning based on your taste buds.  Add a little, let it simmer, taste, then add more if you think you need it.  Play around with it and tailor it to fit your family.  We like it a little strong so I put probably 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning and maybe 1/2 tbsp of oregano.
4. Let the sauce simmer at least 30 minutes so the flavors can marry.  A few hours is really best though to get deep flavor.  Spoon sauce onto your favorite pasta and ENJOY!!

How do you like your pasta?  Lots of sauce, chunky or smooth?

You might also like~

This post is linked to~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting! Please feel free to let me know what you think. I love getting comments and read every one of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...